Cat was dying of antifreeze poisoning, but they saved his life with vodka

July 18, 2017 3:55 pm Last Updated: July 18, 2017 3:55 pm

 

 

Curiosity almost killed the cat. Hard liquor saved it.

That was the strange case for one stray cat, who was deathly ill until the hospital administered the most unusual cure: vodka.

That’s right: For once, a night of consuming alcohol made someone less sick.

According to The Courier Mail, the cat was first found near a tire shop in Queensland, Australia, on the brink of death. He had apparently consumed antifreeze.

It’s unclear how he got it—whether he was purposely fed it or just got into it on his own somehow. Regardless, he was found convulsive and hypothermic, and rushed to the Wacol RSPCA animal hospital.

After arriving he was put in the care of Dr. Sarah Kanther, and not a moment too soon. The cat was diagnosed with acute renal failure.

“Luck was definitely on his side when our inspectors brought him in to us,” Dr. Kanther told ABC.

“Just in the nick of time.”

The doctors needed a quick solution.

They knew of one effective antidote to the antifreeze: intravenous (IV) alcohol.

But where to get alcohol in an animal hospital at such short notice?

Luckily, one of the nurses happened to have a bottle of Absolut Vodka in the fridge. (It was reportedly a Christmas gift.)

And so, the cat became the envy of college students everywhere by getting hooked up to an IV drip.

Did he get drunk? The doctors seemed to think so:

“He was off his rocker,” Dr. Kanther said. “He was having a jolly good time.”

They decided to name the cat “Tipsy”.

How is vodka the cure for antifreeze poisoning?

“Basically once you put the alcohol into his blood it metabolises that instead, and gives the antifreeze time to pass in a less toxic form,” Dr. Kanther explained to ABC.

ABC reports that Tipsy made a full recovery, thanks to “a long night, lots of liquid, and a greasy breakfast the next morning,” which, honestly, is how most of us recover after drinking vodka.

The unfortunate part is that the hospital is unable to identify Tipsy’s owners, and are currently working to send him home, otherwise he will be put up for adoption.

But it’s still entirely possible that Tipsy’s original family intentionally “baited” him with the antifreeze in the first place: a spokesman for the ASPCA points out that cats are attracted to antifreeze’s sweet smell, which makes it a common (but horrific) method of poisoning. So a new family might be the best outcome, after all.

So, hopefully Tipsy makes it to a good home, and hasn’t developed a taste for martinis.

🍸It was vodka to the rescue for poisoned kitty, now named ‘Tipsy’. Tipsy had ingested a possible bait of toxic…

Posted by RSPCA Queensland on Monday, July 17, 2017