Mom of 7 smells something burning, wakes everyone up—but it was something no one could’ve predicted

September 27, 2017 4:08 pm Last Updated: October 1, 2017 3:13 pm

Sometimes life gets so chaotic and becomes so unpredictable that the only thing you can do is laugh. At least that’s how this mother of seven, Tara Wood, sees it.

In a candid Facebook post Wood described her recent online absence. She attributed it to an “emotionally and physically challenging week,” partly due to the family dog being hit by a car over the weekend. The dog needed one of its hind legs amputated and the other was severely injured.

It wasn’t until an insane series of events happened that she realized her life was back to its usual “abnormal normal.”

Wood’s rough week started out with a severe injury to the family dog.

(Facebook/Tara Wood, Writer)

One morning while her children were getting ready for school, her daughter noticed an interesting smell in the house. According to Wood, it smelled like melting plastic.

Her first thought was to check the toaster—nothing burning there—then she ran upstairs to make sure no one left a hair straightener or curling iron unattended. When she still couldn’t find the source of the smell, which had worsened, she started to do what anyone would: panic.

“I started getting panicky so I shook Garrett awake while low-key screaming ‘WAKE UP SOMETHING IS ON FIRE BUT I CANT FIND WHAT IT IS AND WE’RE ALL ABOUT TO DIE I THINK!'” she wrote.

The cause of the fire was something no one could have predicted.

(Facebook/Tara Wood, Writer)

As she ran from room to room trying to find the source of the smell and also attempting to alert the family, she noticed smoke “wafting” from their game room.

Wood was drawn to a light fixture in the room and there it was—one of her son’s socks was on one of the lightbulbs.

“So then I was all ‘OH MY GOD HOLY S— WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING LEO YOUR SOCK IS ABOUT TO CATCH OUR HOUSE ON FIRE WHY IN THE HELL IS YOUR STANK [EXPLETIVE] SOCK ON THE LIGHT FIXTURE? WE COULD HAVE HAD A SOCK FIRE!'” she wrote.

Wood was able to get the sock off the light using a doll, which did not fare well.

(Facebook/Tara Wood, Writer)

Once the “sock fire” was under control, Wood expected the rest of her morning to go smoothly, but of course that was not the case.

One of her children immediately announced her 2-year-old daughter was standing outside holding a “sleeping” squirrel. Only it wasn’t sleeping. It was dead as a doornail.

Wood had to bribe her daughter with Doritos and a fudge pop, but she eventually got her daughter to allow her to properly dispose of the squirrel—in a plastic bag.

Finding out her child was holding a dead squirrel was just the icing on the cake.

(Facebook/Tara Wood, Writer)

The mother of seven wrote that all of this occurred before 7 a.m., which means her day must have only gotten better from there.

Wood, who told HuffPost she’s had several of these crazy mornings with her family, says it’s these kinds of moments that you just have to laugh at.

“It’s so much less stressful and so much more manageable when you can roll with the punches and giggle at the utter ridiculousness of it all,” she told HuffPost.

Check out Wood’s Facebook to read her entire post about her insanely crazy morning. And next time you think you have a hectic morning be thankful your house didn’t nearly catch on fire because of a sock or that your kid didn’t pick up a dead squirrel!