Adoption agency insists couple must sign more papers. But when woman goes in—’just broke my heart’

When she arrived at the agency, everyone was crying
February 8, 2018 6:43 pm Last Updated: February 8, 2018 6:43 pm

Todd and Amy already had children, but they wanted to add to their family through adoption. A year after they started the process, their adoption agency contacted them asking the couple to come to the office for some more paperwork.

The family was getting ready to go out of town for the holidays and they asked if they could sign the papers when they returned. To their surprise the agency insisted they come in as soon as possible.

Little did they know that their vacation plans were about to be put on hold.

After moving to Oklahoma, Todd and Amy wanted to grow their family.

The couple began looking into adoption in October 2014 after the family had moved from Texas to Pittsburgh, then finally to Oklahoma. A little over a year later they received a call from the adoption agency. The agency wanted both Todd and Amy to come into the office to sign some paperwork.

Since the family had plans to go out of town for Thanksgiving, Amy asked if they could come in after they returned home.

Amy recalled that the agency was “adamant” that they sign the papers as soon as possible—so she decided she would stop by herself.

Before going on vacation, Amy made the trip to the adoption agency for paperwork.

As Amy was on her way out of the house, Todd told her about a news report he had recently seen.

A woman left a baby boy with its umbilical cord still attached at an urgent care. The woman was reportedly homeless and was unable to properly care for him.

“I said, ‘That is the saddest thing ever. Do you think that is our baby?'” she wrote on Love What Matters.

But Todd didn’t believe so.

But the adoption agency didn’t have any papers for Amy to sign.

Posted by Through My Eyes on Tuesday, December 19, 2017

When Amy arrived at the adoption agency, everyone was crying. She didn’t know what was going on, and when she asked about the paperwork one of the employees handed her a piece of paper.

It was an article about the baby that she and her husband had just been discussing.

Amy acknowledged the article, but was still confused.

“You don’t have more paperwork to sign,” she remembered them telling her. “He’s waiting for you in the NICU. He’s yours.”

Amy hurried home to get ready to go to the hospital.

Posted by Through My Eyes on Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Amy was elated, and she rushed home to break the good news to her family. Before heading to the hospital, they bought a baby blanket and a stuffed animal—and then went to meet the newest member of their family.

“When we finally got to him, we knew instantly he was ours,” Amy wrote. “He was so perfect!”

The next step was to pick the little boy’s name.

“His name tag just said ‘Baby Boy Unknown’ and that just broke my heart,” Todd told News On 6.

They welcomed the baby, identified only as W, into their family with open arms.

Posted by Through My Eyes on Tuesday, December 19, 2017

After the story of W made headlines, hospital staff informed Todd and Amy that they had seen three other cases where a mother dropped her baby off at the hospital.

Oklahoma has a safe haven law, which allows mothers to drop off a newborn up to three days old at a medical facility, fire station, or police station, no questions asked.

Nearly a year later the family officially adopted W.

Posted by Through My Eyes on Tuesday, December 19, 2017

On November 11, 2016, almost a year after W first came into Todd and Amy’s lives, they officially adopted the little boy.

“I’m just thankful for her [W’s birth mother]. She gave us a perfect gift,” Amy said. “He’s been a very big blessing to our family.”