Healthy teen died from caffeine overdose, coroner says

May 16, 2017 5:13 pm Last Updated: May 16, 2017 5:13 pm

A teen from South Carolina died of a caffeine overdose, a coroner has confirmed this week.

Davis Cripe, 16, collapsed in April while he was at high school and died at a hospital after drinking a significant amount of caffeinated beverages. Specifically, he drank a large soft drink, a latte, and an energy drink over a short span of time, CBS News reported.

NBC News reported that the soft drink in question was a diet Mountain Dew and the latte was from McDonald’s.

Davis, according to the report, was described as healthy and active. He didn’t drink and didn’t do drugs, his father told CBS.

A classmate said that during class, Cripe “chugged” an energy drink. “He was a great kid, he didn’t get mixed up in the wrong things — he loved music,” father Sean Cripe said. “We worry about their safety, their health, especially once they start driving, but it wasn’t a car crash that took his life, instead it was an energy drink.”

Richland county coroner Gary Watts, said Davis drank a large amount of caffeine, causing a “cardiac event,” as he put it.

“These drinks, this amount of caffeine, how it’s ingested can have dire consequences and that’s what happened in this case,” Watts said. “It was so much caffeine at the time of his death that it caused his arrhythmia,” he told NBC.

“These drinks can be very dangerous,” Watts added. “I’m telling my friends and family don’t drink them.”

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says caffeine in doses of up to 400 mg (around five cups of coffee) is usually safe.

Photo credit:  (Facebook)