This Ocean-Friendly Mock Tuna Salad skips the vegan mayo and uses white miso, grainy mustard, and sweet pickle relish for flavoring instead. There is some added salt and sugar from the spices, but I think it’s worth it to re-create a cruelty-free, easy, delicious alternative to a real tuna salad.
You can either wrap this salad in a tortilla, scoop it onto toast, or serve it plain or over crisp romaine. The celery and onion provide characteristic crunch, and the gently-smashed garbanzo beans gives a nice texture.
- 2 cups garbanzo beans
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted tahini
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- ½ teaspoon white miso
- ¼ cup red onion
2. Chop celery and add to bowl.
3. Add tahini, relish, mustard, miso, and onion to the bowl and stir to combine. Use the flat side of a fork to smash some of the beans.
4. Serve over chopped romaine as a salad entrée, wrapped in a tortilla for a wrap, or on toasted bread for a sandwich.