According to media reports, baby Leonardo returned home in the municipality of Corbetta in the northern Italy region of Lombardy at the end of March after a 50-day battle against COVID-19.
Local mayor Marco Ballarini took to Facebook on March 25, sharing a smiling picture of the baby and welcoming the little warrior back home, calling him “the wonderful face of hope.”
“Today we have one more reason to smile, to be happy, to feel even more like a united community,” Ballarini wrote. “Today, we look at the wonderful face of hope.”
The mayor further revealed that the little baby had been discharged from the hospital after defeating the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus, commonly known as the novel coronavirus.
In his heartwarming post, the mayor also expressed his gratitude to the baby and his parents, writing, “Thanks a lot Leo, and thanks to your parents who never gave up. They brought summer to the hearts of all Corbetta citizens! Strength Corbetta!”
Ballarini’s post quickly went viral amassing over 2,500 reactions and was shared by more than 400 people. Social media users took to the comments section to welcome the little fighter back home.
“Welcome home son. Your return home is like a sign of hope for all of us. From me I love you son God bless you. And greetings to your parents,” a translated comment read.
While another one chimed in, “I’m so happy, great news. Welcome home little angel.”
“Congratulations, a light to the world, hope has not perished. force [I]taly,” a third comment read.
According to the Daily Mail, Leonardo’s mom told local media that she knew her baby was not well when he came down with a fever and his heart rate quickened.
The infant’s mother also shared that her husband’s work colleague had contracted COVID-19. Now that her baby has recovered from the CCP virus, she said, “I was worried a lot, especially at night. I do not wish that on any mother.”
In addition, the mother expressed that Leonardo received good care from healthcare professionals.
Leonardo’s news of recovery comes in as a light of hope after the number of young people with no underlying health conditions contracting the virus has been increasing.
Meanwhile, a British mother named Jessie Mitchell has been warning parents to take the virus seriously after her 1-year-old son, Perran, contracted COVID-19. According to SWNS, as reported by the New York Post, the mom shared that her son had developed a temperature around March 22, but she didn’t take it seriously as her son was already in great discomfort from teething.
“He had no breathing difficulties or cough but was on fire with his temperature,” Mitchell said.
The mother added, “People think babies won’t get it and it is vital we put the message out they do. They will get it but just might not get the severe repercussions. They can still be carriers though and that is what makes it dangerous.”
She further urged others to follow the guidelines.