I developed this recipe for the rooftop baby shower for my son. I knew it was going to be a big crowd on a hot day, so I went for something refreshing, healthy and satisfying. I don’t know about you, but I always get peckish at a party and hardly ever find a good-for-me option I can munch on. This is it.
Ingredients – Vegan, Paleo, GF
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sprinkle of Himalayan sea salt
- ½ avocado
- 1 peach, pit removed, sliced
- ½ jicama, cut in small cubes
- ⅓ cup toasted hazelnuts
- Add the kale to a bowl and pour over it the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt.
- Roll up your sleeves and massage the kale with your hands until it softens and gets a bright, dark green.
- Add the avocado and massage that in, too.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, finishing with a sprinkle of the hazelnuts
Jicama is one of sweet potato’s relatives. It has a bright white flesh and brown skin. Eaten raw, it’s crispy and refreshing and perfect in slaws, salads, or just sliced. It also has a high water content, making it perfect for juicing. Nutritionally, it contains plenty of fiber and vitamin C yet is low in calories.
*Image of “kale salad” via Joy/Flickr/CC BY 2.0