It’s National Sugar Cookie Day! Here are two great sugar cookie recipes that are both easy and fun to make:
1. Pop Art Cookies
1 bag of sugar cookie mix
1/3 cup butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
12 wooden sticks
frosting, icing, and candy decorations of your choosing
- Heat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, flour and egg until dough forms. Roll dough on floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick. Cut with 3-inch round cookie cutter. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Carefully insert a wooden stick into side of each cookie.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Divide frosting among 4 small bowls. Tint frosting in 3 of the bowls with different color of food color. Reserve some of the tinted frostings for piping on designs. Frost cookies with remaining white and tinted frostings. For piping, place each tinted frosting in small resealable food-storage plastic bag; snip off tiny corner of bag. Pipe frostings on cookies in desired designs. Decorate with candy decorations.
2. Cinna-spin Cookies
1 bag sugar cookie mix
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, mix cookie mix and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir in butter and egg until soft dough forms.
- On piece of waxed paper, shape 1 tablespoon cinnamon into a line about 5 inches long. Using floured fingers, shape 1 tablespoon of dough into a rope 5 inches long. Press one side of dough rope into cinnamon.
- On ungreased cookie sheet, coil dough rope tightly, cinnamon side facing center, into cinnamon-roll shape. Press end of rope into roll to seal. Repeat with remaining dough. Place cookies 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cookies.
*Photo of flower sugar cookies via Shutterstock