Obelisks are a type of public monument that originated in antiquity. The most famous examples were made by the ancient Egyptians for their temples. An obelisk, Greek for “pointed instrument,” is a tapered four-sided shaft with a pyramidal top. Scholars believe that these monoliths were viewed as a symbol of eternity and the sun god.
The Appropriated Obelisks

The two obelisks were commissioned by Pharaoh Thutmose III (circa 1479 B.C.–1425 B.C.) to celebrate the 30th year of his reign. This event occurred over a millennium before Cleopatra’s birth. Carved at the famous stone quarries of Aswan and featuring hieroglyphic texts, these pink granite monuments stood originally on either side of the portals to the Temple of the Sun in the sacred city of Heliopolis, which is now part of Cairo, on the Nile River. From base to tip, each needle is 69 feet tall and weighs around 200 tons.

At some point in time, the obelisks were toppled at their Heliopolis location. It is possible that this occurred during a Persian invasion in 525 B.C. In addition, they may have been burnt in antiquity. For over 500 years, both obelisks were partially buried in sand. In 12 B.C. they were discovered and rescued by Roman Emperor Augustus, who had vanquished Egypt’s ruler Cleopatra. At Roman direction, the obelisks were floated down the Nile to the coastal city of Alexandria, where they were erected at the entrance to the Caesarium, a temple that had been built by Cleopatra and dedicated to Julius Casear. This may be the reason that each obelisk came to be called “Cleopatra’s Needle.”

The Romans cast bronze crab figures to support the broken corners of the obelisk that is now in New York. Crabs are associated with the sun god Apollo in Roman mythology, so their inclusion is symbolically appropriate. Replicas are currently attached to the obelisk; the originals are in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

A Gift to America
This obelisk remained in Alexandria until the 1870s. In 1879, it was announced that the Khedive of Egypt, Ismail Pasha, who governed the country as viceroy of the Sultan of Turkey, had gifted the obelisk to the United States. The occasion was the commemoration of the opening of the Suez Canal.
The transport of “Cleopatra’s Needle” to New York was extremely complex due to the object’s size and weight, with the entire process taking over a year and a half. When the obelisk arrived upon the banks of the Hudson River, it took 112 days to move it to its current location in Central Park on a rocky hill known as Greywacke Knoll, which is across from The Met (a winter blizzard was a complicating factor). In front of a huge crowd, the obelisk was turned upright on Jan. 22, 1881. It is the city’s oldest outdoor monument.

The obelisk, already weathered, continued to degrade throughout the 20th century. After public outcry, the Central Park Conservancy, in collaboration with The Met and NYC Parks undertook a $500,000, three-year project to document, clean, and stabilize the monument. This comprehensive conservation that cleaned the 2,112-square-foot surface with lasers and stabilized fragile areas with adhesive products was completed in June 2014.

Britain’s Commemorated Gift
The obelisk in London is one of that city’s oldest monuments. It was presented to the British government by the Egyptian ruler Muhammad Ali, Ismail Pasha’s grandfather, in 1819. This gift commemorated British victory over French forces at the 1798 Battle of the Nile and the 1801 Battle of Alexandria. However, the obelisk was not raised in London until Sept. 12, 1878, due to the difficulty of engineering its removal.
Finally, in 1877, a plan was finalized. A specially designed iron cylinder named Cleopatra would encase the obelisk. This craft, which had a mast, rudder, and steering gear operated by a crew, would be towed to Britain by the steamship Olga. Both vessels left Alexandria on Sept. 21, 1877. Alas, the convoy hit a violent storm in the Bay of Biscay. The towropes were cut, and the Cleopatra with the obelisk drifted away and was thought lost. Six sailors from the Olga drowned trying to rescue crew on the Cleopatra. However, the Cleopatra, still containing the obelisk, was eventually spotted and towed into a Spanish harbor. From there, another paddle tug, the Anglia, brought it to England, arriving Jan. 21, 1878.

Today, this obelisk stands between the Golden Jubilee Bridges and Waterloo Bridge on the Thames Embankment. It is flanked by two large brass Neo-Egyptian sphinxes made in 1881 in Pimlico. These sphinxes sustained some damage, which is still visible, from a World War I German bombing raid on London.

“Cleopatra’s Needles” were carved around 3,500 years ago. Situated now in resoundingly modern cities, these ancient monuments remain fascinating to today’s viewers. Symbolizing power, religion, politics, diplomacy, war, ingenuity, craftsmanship, and perseverance, they are truly immortal.







