Kale is now known as the superman of all the veggie isles. It is known to be low in calorie, high in fiber, high in iron, and high in Vitamin K. Kale is also known to be a great detox food. With so many health benefits, how can you say no to this veggie?
Here is a delicious recipe to try–
Ingredients for Broth:
- 10 oz (300 g) chicken wings
- 1 tsp (5 ml) coarse salt
- ¼ fennel bulb
- 2 shallots
- 1 large onion
- 1 carrot
- Parsley, thyme and bay leaf, wrapped in cheesecloth
- 1 star anise
- ½ tsp (2 ml) coriander
- 1 clove
- 10 white peppercorns
- 2 inch piece (5 cm) fresh ginger, peeled and sliced, plus a small piece
- 2 pieces fresh lemon peel
1. Place chicken in a pot of boiling water and cook for 3 minutes. Drain the chicken wings, then chill them.
2. Place all ingredients (except small piece of ginger and lemon peel) in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and skim off fat. Reduce heat and simmer slowly for 5 hours.
3. Remove from heat, add ginger piece and lemon peel, and let rest for 30 minutes. Carefully ladle out the liquid and strain to obtain a very clear bouillon.
Ingredients for Stuffed Kale:
- 4 kale leaves
- 50 g button or cremini mushrooms, peeled and cleaned
- 4 tsp (20 ml) olive oil
- 4 chicken wings, cooked (from above recipe)
- 3-¼ cup (810 ml) cream
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) preserve lemon, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped black truffle
- Salt and white pepper
1. Dice mushrooms into ½-inch (1 cm) cubes.
2. Place olive oil in a pan on medium heat and brown the mushrooms. Season and drain any excess liquid.
3. Remove the meat from chicken wings and mix with 1 tsp (5 ml) of salt. Sieve meat and measure out 3-½ oz (100 g) into a bowl. With a spatula, incorporate the cream.
4. Next, add salt and pepper, preserved lemon, cooked mushrooms and chopped black truffle.
5. In a pot of boiling salted water, cook kale leaves for 2 minutes. Drain, then cool in a bowl of ice water. Once cooled, drain and pat dry with a cloth.
6. Lay out the kale leaves, and place a 2 oz (60 g) mound of the meat mixture on the centre of each leaf. Fold leaf over meat to make a small package.
7. Wrap each stuffed kale with plastic wrap. Steam stuffed kale for 8 minutes then let them rest for 2 minutes. Remove plastic wrap.
8. To serve, place one stuffed kale with some bouillon in a soup bowl. Sprinkle with pure sea salt.