Cereal is a quintessential breakfast food, and shows no signs of going anywhere. The cereal aisle at grocery stores is evidence enough to show that it is a favorite across breakfast tables everywhere. Now it’s time to make it the wholesome start it needs to be, and we achieve that in spades with this power cereal recipe.
The purpose of this cereal recipe is to eliminate the harmful sugars, GMO wheat, soy, and corn, and utilize beneficial seeds and grains that contain more nutrients.
In the end you get a higher quality protein source, more healthy fats, and a much wider variety of vitamins and minerals. Your kids can enjoy this while you smile inwardly.
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats (soaked for at least 6 hours and dehydrated)
- Stevia to sweeten
- Add milk of choice (almond, raw, coconut)
- Optional add ons: goji berries, raisins, slivered almonds, cranberries, dried apples, fresh berries, cinnamon
- In large mixing bowl mix chia seeds, hemp hearts, and buckwheat
- Take mixture and put in cereal bowl
- Add milk of choice
- Add a drop or two of stevia
- Allow chia seeds to “thicken” for at least 15 minutes adding more milk until desired consistency is reached
- Add toppings of choice
This cereal is great for kids and adults at breakfast or as a snack.
Derek Henry is a holistic health coach who created Healing the Body wellness program to help people overcome health challenges and understand the fundamental principles to exceptional health. This article was originally published at HealingTheBody.ca.
*Image of hemp hearts from julie west/Flickr