The sharp bite of red wine vinegar gives balance to the earthy flavor of beans. Shallots, green onions, and fresh herbs bring a punch of brightness to this simple dish.
If you prefer to cook your own beans, substitute 3/4 cup dried kidney beans, soak them overnight in warm water with a pinch of baking soda, strain, and boil them in salted water until tender.
- 1 (13-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Dump the beans into a medium mixing bowl, and then stir in the shallot, green onions, parsley, salt, and red pepper flakes. Drizzle the vinegar and olive oil over the beans, and stir.
Allow the beans to marinate for at least 10 minutes, and then serve. Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.