Eye strain from hours of screen time can result in eye irritation, dryness, fatigue or blurred vision, and such problems are increasingly common, according to a new report.
The first step is admitting that you have a problem (a #firstworldproblem, if you’d like, but a problem nonetheless). From there, experts recommend some easy ways to protect your eyes during media binges:
- Reduce glare by cleaning your screen and making sure it’s the most brightly glowing thing in the room.
- Sit an arm’s length away from your computer screen. The screen shouldn’t be tilted, and should be positioned right below eye level.
- “Remind yourself to blink.”
- Every 20 minutes, give yourself 20 seconds to check out what’s going on 20 feet away from you.
- Consider buying a pair of glasses made specifically for computer use.