With the holiday season in full swing, our minds often start to crave baking, hot ciders, and eggnog. Unfortunately, most store bought eggnog’s ruin what could otherwise be a nice beverage, by using conventional dairy, sugar, eggs, and other modified ingredients. This year, don’t let that stop the holiday cheer. Make your own healthy eggnog with this delicious recipe.
The purpose of this healthy eggnog recipe is to substitute the dramatically inferior ingredients in your typical store bough eggnog, and replace them with healthy substitutes that will not negatively affect the flavour, and deliver a healthy holiday treat. This recipe will be much easier on your digestive system, and will allow you to go back for seconds without feeling guilty.
- Mixing bowl
- Medium sized sauce pan
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 3/4 cups of sprouted almond milk
- 1/4 cup of coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of all spice
- Place egg yolks (no whites) in a small mixing bowl
- Combine remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low
- Slowly add about 1/4 cup of hot liquids to egg yolks while whisking. Continue until you’ve added about 1 cup of the liquid mixture to the egg yolks, then transfer yolks to the pot
- Increase to medium heat and whisk on simmer for 4 minutes
- Remove from heat and pour into a glass container. Refrigerate for 24 hours for best results
- Enjoy as you wish. After all, it’s the holidays and it’s healthy!
*Image of “eggnog” via Shutterstock