It has been said we are in a chronic disease epidemic of diabetes mellitus. Before COVID-19, approximately 10 percent of diabetes was juvenile type 1, which is an auto-immune illness characterized by auto-antibodies against pancreatic islet cells. The remaining 90 percent is adult onset type 2 diabetes characterized by lifelong excess in adiposity and insulin resistance.
Mass vaccination with mRNA and adenoviral DNA vaccines may change the epidemiology of diabetes as we know it. There are several papers emerging concerning new-onset diabetes and diabetic ketoacidosis after taking a COVID-19 shot. Moon and colleagues reported a well-characterized case of new-onset type 1 diabetes in an adult temporally related to COVID-19 vaccination.
The rapid depletion of endogenous insulin (C-peptide) and detectable auto-antibodies suggests this new condition for the vaccine recipient will be permanent. This means lifelong insulin and glucose monitoring as a regrettable consequence of accepting a vaccine. This case and the others call for a sweep of vaccine safety databases and clinical trials looking for hyperglycemia, diabetic ketoacidosis, and well-documented new-onset diabetes.
This will be the only way for epidemiologists and diabetologists to develop risk stratification and detection methods. Because the auto-immune attack on the pancreas can be insidious and take time, I am concerned that months or years later the chronic disease epidemic of diabetes mellitus could be intensified by mass vaccination.
COVID-19 vaccine side effects that occur way less than one percent of the time can be a large problem for the community since nearly the entire population was duped or forced into vaccination. For so many reasons, any novel EUA [Emergency Use Authorization] vaccine campaign should be targeted on a small group at the highest risk so large numbers are not exposed to permanent side effects such as insulin-dependent type 1 diabetes.
Moon H, Suh S, Park MK. Adult-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Development Following COVID-19 mRNA Vaccination. J Korean Med Sci. 2023 Jan 9;38(2):e12. doi: 10.3346/jkms.2023.38.e12. PMID: 36625174; PMCID: PMC9829515.
Reposted from the author’s Substack
Views expressed in this article are the opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Epoch Times. Epoch Health welcomes professional discussion and friendly debate. To submit an opinion piece, please follow these guidelines and submit through our form here.