Five Tips for Beach Body Confidence
NEW YORK–Beach season has begun, and if you didn’t spend the winter and spring getting ready to show off your ripped arms, tummy, and bum, you may be feeling a bit insecure about running around in your sleeveless dresses or swim trunks.
Getting your beach body ready in a few days is not realistic, but there are a few things you can do to make yourself look and feel better while lounging in the sun.
The number one key to looking good is confidence. Enjoying life doesn’t have to wait until you are perfect. Instead, focus on all the things you love about spending time with your family and friends and spending time in the sun, on the beach, or in the water. This is New York’s favorite season for having fun, so enjoy it!
To come across as confident, even when you are not, here are five simple tips.
1. Stand tall. Slouching pushes your paunch out. Standing tall flattens the gut. Plus, the way people stand says so much about them. If they hunch over or slouch, with their head jutting forward, they may be seen as being weak, insecure, or old. If they let their belly hang and arch their back too much, they may be construed as being slovenly and lazy.
First impressions are so important, and how you stand sends a message to those you meet. Good posture also improves mood and energy levels.
When in doubt, stack your hips over the center of your ankles, your shoulders over your hips, and your ears over your shoulders. Pull your shoulders back, and pull your pelvic floor up. Before you know it, people will be asking you if you dropped a few pounds!
2. Groom yourself. Be sure to have well-groomed hands and feet, as well as cared-for skin, teeth, and hair. People who mind these minor details about themselves regularly get more respect.
You’ll come across as healthier, classier, and better-looking.
3. Wear clothes that flatter. We all have our “problem” spots, but we also all have areas of our body we can flaunt. Rather than hiding in baggy clothing or not bothering to highlight what you have going for you, find clothes that will bring out the parts of your body that are attractive. Even if there is no area you are particularly happy about, you can throw on a cool hat or some beautiful jewelry to draw attention to those things instead.
4. Exercise. OK, it just isn’t realistic to change your body in a week, but you can work out every day to activate your muscles. This will help you get the healthy glow that exercise gives people while activating the muscles you need to stand tall. You will also feel more fit, which will give you the confidence you need to let go of perfection and focus on having more fun.
5. Eat clean. High-salt, processed, and carb-heavy foods can cause bloating in most people. If you really want to feel beach ready, eat real, unprocessed foods that are simple and easy to digest.
Chasing quick fixes won’t get you the health you need to have the body you want now. As for actually achieving your beach body goals, make health a priority. Start setting your life up so you have the foundation in place to do that.
Tysan Lerner is a certified health coach and personal trainer. She helps women attain their body and beauty goals without starving themselves or spending hours at the gym. Her website is www.lavendermamas.com.