The best time of year! Spring cleaning is just around the corner. It is a perfect time to hit the reset button on your space. Clean out your house, your car, your desk at work. It feels so good to declutter, deep clean, and wash everything! It will also help your allergy symptoms so much. I like to google or search on pinterest for a spring cleaning check-list. I always forget to clean things like the fan!
1. Let’s Make A PlanDivvy up your home. Which areas or rooms needs the most work? Where are the areas or rooms that you need to start with? Having a plan will keep you focused and prepared. If you choose to expend your spring cleaning over the course of a week, create a plan of what you are going to do everyday. It will also help to have a checklist so you do not forget any areas.
2. De-clutterI am a big hoarder. I always think “you never know when I am going to need it” but in reality it just clutters my space. Clutter will make you feel stressed, increase your allergies due to dust, and make your house look messy. It’s better to purge and cleanse your space! Keep your work-space clean and your productivity high!
- Dust and organize your office
- Look through that dreaded junk drawer (and desk drawers!)
- Organize your closets
3. Steam, steam, steam!Are you nervous about the chemicals that are being introduced to your home during your spring cleaning? All of the harsh ingredients can be very hard to avoid. There are many all-natural products that you can try, but I love my steam cleaner! It can be used for literally every room in the house. Clean your microwave, tile, hard floors, kitchen appliances, bathrooms and even outdoor areas. If you do it properly, it can even be used to deep clean carpet! Steam cleaners use hot water vapor to fully purge your space. They’re a 100% natural and chemical-free cleaning solution.
4. Always Work from Top to BottomOne of the best advice I was ever given was to clean from the top to bottom. When you first begin to clean a room, start at the ceiling and work your way down. You can use a vacuum or duster to get the cobwebs and dust from the tops of cabinets, fans, or other ledges. After that, clean the walls and any surfaces. Lastly, dust your furniture and other items before vacuuming all the dust and debris off the floors. It will save you time and make sure that you are doing a through clean!
5. Give those Walls and Windows Some Love tooDon’t forget about the walls and windows! It can be easy to forget about these spaces because it can be hard to physically see the dust. Just use a damp towel to wipe down walls, blinds, and windows. Don’t forget to also remove and wipe down the window screens outside. For windows you can also use a steam cleaner and a squeegee for a sustainable cleaning solution.
6. Deep clean – Kitchen and BathroomThere are so many drawers and nooks and crannies in my bathroom that I almost always forget a spot. Make sure that you add these locations in your kitchen and bathroom to your schedule so you don’t forget!
- Wipe down your cabinets.
- Go through your pantry and refrigerator. Wipe down the shelves, and throw away any old items.
- If you have stainless steel appliances, be sure to use gentle cleaners or a steam cleaner to avoid scratching or other issues.
- Change your shower curtain.
- Go through your cosmetics drawer or medicine cabinet and throw away any expired items.
- Make up brushes! You should be cleaning them after every use, but let’s be real. Try to clean them at least once a month to avoid spreading bacteria on your face!
7. Clean air too!Make sure that you are replacing any filters in your vents, air conditioning, or other fans in your home. One way to ensure clean air is an air purifier. It may seem excessive, but I guarantee you will notice a difference! If you suffer from any type of allergies or wakes up stuffy during the spring season, adding an air purifier to your bedroom will help so much. It feels like a breath of fresh air every time you enter your home!
Now it’s time to get to cleaning! Use these hacks to make your spring cleaning as easy as possible. Have any more to add? Comment or tag us @ouiplease on instagram.