An alternative to baking or frying, cooking the fish in a little water results in a tender, flaky fish along with a tasty broth. Plate in shallow bowls or rimmed plates, spoon the vegetables on top of each piece of fish, and serve with crusty bread to soak any leftover broth.
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup pitted, halved kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1 tablespoon minced Italian parsley leaves
- 3 to 4 white fish filets, such as flounder, sea bass, or sea bream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Place the filets on top of the vegetables and sprinkle each filet with salt. Add enough water to the skillet to cover the vegetables, but make sure it only reaches the bottom of the filets.
Cover tightly and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until fish is fully cooked and flakes easily. Serve hot.