This recipe is a great way to combine lucky New Year foods. It can be prepared in advance and features just-tender fresh or frozen black-eyes, which are appealing to folks who want a cool dish that’s a little more al dente than stewed peas.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 4 cups cooked fresh or frozen black-eyed peas, drained
- 3 cups finely chopped green cabbage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt, black pepper, and hot sauce to taste
In a large bowl, combine drained black-eyed peas, chopped cabbage, carrots, green onion, parsley, and bacon. Toss to mix.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together 1 cup good-quality mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and sugar. Add dressing to the peas and cabbage mixture and mix well. Season with salt, black pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.