A WalletHub.com study developed a ranking of summer travel destinations based on the cost and ease of travel to the locations and their affordability, as well as the number and variety of attractions, weather, and safety.
The top 10 destinations were:
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area
- Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL Metro Area
- Austin-Round Rock, TX Metro Area
- Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI Metro Area
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA Metro Area
- Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN Metro Area
- Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area
- Oklahoma City, OK Metro Area
- Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV Metro Area
- Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX Metro Area
The New York City area came in at 11th; the LA area at 12th.
Oklahoma City ranked highest for lowest local costs, while Honolulu ranked last. The Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim area ranked highest for the most attractions, while the Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach area in Florida ranked the lowest.