I love semolina porridge. The comforting texture and taste, and the fact that it is light on the stomach, have made it one of my favorite foods to enjoy on a chilly night. Browsing through some health information on this wonder grain, I realized it has some stunning health benefits, too!
Here’s a short list of what semolina can do for you:
- Semolina is made from durum wheat, so it is digested slowly. This helps you feel full longer and prevents you from overeating.
- Semolina improves kidney function, thanks to its potassium content.
- Add some chopped nuts and raisins to your semolina porridge, and you increase its nutritional content as well as taste.
- Add some chopped vegetables to savory semolina upma, and you have a power-packed, as well as delicious, meal in a bowl.
- Semolina is a good source of two vital vitamins: E and the B group. Both, as we know, are essential for good immunity from disease.
- For those who lead an active lifestyle, semolina is a quick and nourishing source of energy.
- The trace minerals in semolina, such as phosphorus, zinc and magnesium, are beneficial for the health of your bones and nervous system.
Of course those with gluten intolerance would need to avoid eating semolina.
*Image of “semolina” via Shutterstock