Why should you love your homeopath? There are lots of reasons from love to money, and more. For your health.
Lots of people who swear by homeopathic medicines, but a small group thinks they should be banned. In the book “Think Like a Freak”, authors Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner tell us that the three hardest words in the English language are “I don’t know.” These three words are the reason for arguments against homeopathy.
We know homeopathic medicines work. We don’t know why. We don’t know how. We often fear what we don’t understand. Fear can lead to anger and accusations when we simply don’t know. Homeopathy is a bit like acupuncture and prayer. They don’t seem logical, but we know they work sometimes. We don’t understand.
Why should you love your homeopath? There are lots of reasons:
1. For Love: Love your family, love thy neighbor, love your homeopath. Even if you don’t need a homeopath, your aunt, your grandmother, or grandchild might. The decision to love your homeopath expands your future – and the futures of your friends and family. Your health includes the health of those you love, and your communities.
2. For money. Homeopathic medicines are generally less expensive than patent medicines, which have prices driven by profit, not by cost nor benefit. Also many homeopathic medicines are designed to cure disease – while many patent medicines only treat symptoms by ongoing, expensive, subscriptions. Mahatma Gandhi, said “Homeopathy …. cures a larger percentage of cases than any other method of treatment and is beyond doubt safer and more economical and most complete medical science.”
3. For your bodies, minds, spirits, and communities. Homeopathy works. Sometimes it works after many other medicines have failed. Take a look around. Most of us have no difficulty finding a friend who swears by a homeopath in their past, or in their family. How is it possible that everyone can find instances where a homeopathic doctor was able to solve a problem, one that other doctors could not solve, while others claim that homeopathic medicines can’t work?
There are some who claim that homeopathic medicines should be banned because they work “no better than a placebo”. They don’t remember that a placebo is defined as ‘a lie from your doctor’. Nor that lies from your doctor work too. Of course they don’t mention that placebos often work so well that they embarrass medical researchers. No medicine works all of the time. Even a null medicine works some of the time. Patent medicines, homeopathic medicines, placebos, and even simple empathy, have each been tested in clinical studies – with some positive results and some negative results. Do those who suggest banning homeopathic medicines also suggest banning doctor empathy, or a patient’s hopes, and their family’s prayers?
4. Because you are royalty. Kings and queens have used homeopathy – with positive effects. The Queen of England, Queen Elizabeth II has a personal physician – a homeopath. She has used homeopathic medicines for her pets as well. If it’s good enough for royalty, it’s good enough for you.
5. Because someday you might need a chiropractor, a Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioner, Acupuncturist, an Osteopathic Doctor, an Ayurvedic practitioner, or even a midwife. Remember the famous speech by Martin Niemöller:
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.
When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.
When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn’t a Jew.
When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.
Attacking homeopathy, suggesting it be banned, is a first step in the wrong direction. Many medical disciplines are attacked independently, with a goal to remove them all from your market, your freedom to choose. If we ban homeopaths, ask yourself – who’s next?
6. For Your Freedoms: Freedom to choose Homeopathy. Freedom to choose your medicines and treatments. There are many who might prefer that you have fewer freedoms, especially those with something to sell. There are many nonsense restrictions on your freedom to choose, and freedoms avoid, specific medical treatments. It’s your body, your mind, your spirit, and your life. You have the right to choose. Love your homeopath, to maintain your freedom.
7. For your symptoms. The medical model classifies all symptoms as indications of illness. It does not recognize that symptoms can be indications of healthiness, and seldom recognizes that symptoms can be indications of healing or fighting illness. Homeopathy looks at symptoms from a completely different viewpoint. When we have more viewpoints we see farther and find more effective treatments.