Soup season is one of our favorite seasons of the year. In fact, soup season lasts almost every season for us. Soup is a great way to consume a lot of our vegetables and we credit Melanie Cornacchia for sending us this great recipe.
¾ cups chopped cooking or sweet onion
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 cups vegetable stock (or filtered water)
2 cups diced butternut squash (washed and peel on/off*)
2 cups diced sweet potatoes or yams
1 cup chopped apple** with peel (cored)
¼ – ½ tsp Himalayan or grey salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground pepper
½ tsp ground nutmeg, optional
*The peel generally isn’t waxy or too hard on this type of organic squash. It can be made with the peel. Often vegetable skins contain many essential vitamins and minerals. phytonutrients, and added fiber.
**If you are using a non-organic apple, remove the peel.
- In a large pot (at least 2L) on the stovetop over medium-high heat, place oil and saute onions until translucent.
- Add the stock/water, squash, potato/yam, apple, seasonings, and stir and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes with the lid partially on. Check squash and potato tenderness and also taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- When cooked, turn off the stove and move to another element. Puree with hand emersion, or let it cool slightly and puree/semi-puree in 2-3 batches in a blender or food processor (check to see what food temperature your appliances can handle).
- Place pureed soup in another large pot or heat-proof bowl. Serve at warm temperature or re-heat the portions for serving.
- Optional: top with ground cinnamon or small apple slices.
- Place in glass container or jar and store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Makes 7-8 cups.
Originally published on NaturallySavvy.com
Melanie Cornacchia is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist who educates on skin conditions, balancing hormones, and gut health through practical and natural solutions. She encourages and inspires you with tools and resources as you move towards your wellness goals. Confidently know what feels right, invest in your wellness, and begin to feel your best! Practice simple daily routines and see the difference, even the smallest actions produce outcomes overtime. Connect with her on IG @melaniecornacchia or melaniecornacchia.com for inspiration and recipes.