Sun-Kissed Citrus Winter Salad
For the dressing:
- 1 1/2–2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice, from about 4–5 large oranges
- 5–6 olive oil-packed anchovies, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed with knife and minced
- 1/4 cup crushed pistachios
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the salad:
- 6–8 small heads endive, picked
- 2 cups peeled fresh citrus slices (Satsuma mandarins, blood oranges, Cara Cara oranges)
- 4–5 purple radishes, shaved lengthwise
- Few rasps of orange zest per salad
- Fresh dill, for garnish
Make the orange juice reduction: In a small saucepan, boil orange juice on medium-high heat for 1 hour, or until syrupy and reduced to about 1/4 cup volume. Let cool.
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine orange juice reduction, anchovies, garlic, lemon juice, and pistachios. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
Build the salad: Layer the endive, citrus slices, and purple radishes. Top with dressing, then garnish with orange zest and fresh dill.
Recipe courtesy of Attila Bollok, executive chef, Barton G. The Restaurant Los Angeles