This recipe takes the concept of using leftovers to a higher level.
Almost any combination of ground or finely chopped meat can be substituted for the sausage. For the vegetables, any leftover bits or produce bin favorites will do the job. Just make sure your meats and veggies are cooked and well-drained before stirring them in with the bread cubes.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black or cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 3 cups cubed bread or rolls
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, crumbled Italian sausage
- 1–2 cups cooked, chopped vegetables (broccoli, spinach, green peppers, mushrooms, yellow squash, or zucchini)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a 7-inch x 11-inch oblong or oval baking dish.
Place eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a blender and pulse until well mixed. Add parsley and green onions and pulse once to combine.
Distribute cubed bread evenly in the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle sausage, vegetables, and one cup of cheese over the bread cubes and toss gently to mix.
Pour the seasoned egg and milk mixture over the bread cubes and let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top of the bread pudding.
Bake for 40 minutes or until set and nicely browned. Let stand a few minutes before serving.