This soup is easy and quick and the ingredients used are really simple – jarred tomatoes, butternut squash, beans, mushrooms, onion, herbs, and coconut milk.
- 1 medium red or white onion
- 2 pounds butternut squash (about one medium squash)
- 7 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 25 ounces jarred crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons no-salt seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 13 ½ ounces canned coconut milk (full fat or “light”)
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 2 limes
1. Chop onion and peel and slice the butternut squash into large chunks. Slice mushrooms.
2. Add onion, butternut squash, jarred crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, low-sodium vegetable broth, oregano, no-salt seasoning, and dried garlic, to the pot of a large slow-cooker. Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours.
(Courtesy of Carrie on Living)
3. About 15-30 minutes before servings, chop the basil and stir into the pot, along with the coconut milk. Replace the lid, turn the heat off, and let the pot sit for about 15 minutes.
4. Squeeze juice from the limes and stir into the soup just before serving.