You simply cannot start fall without some pumpkin. The best way to start it off would be by making some delicious pumpkin whoopie pies. A perfect treat for you and your family.
Ingredients for whoopie pies:
- 12 oz brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 24 oz pumpkin purée
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 15 oz all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 ½ tsp cloves
Method for whoopie pies:
1. Combine all wet ingredients in a large bowl.
2. In another bowl, sift together all dry ingredients.
3. Sprinkle dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
4. Mix until incorporated, then scrape bowl.
5. Using a pastry bag, pipe 72 discs, approximately 2 ½ inch in diameter onto baking sheets.
6. Bake at 350°F for approximately 15 minutes. Cool and spread frosting (recipe below) in between to make whoopie pies.
Ingredients for cream cheese frosting:
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- 3 oz confectionary sugar
- 12 oz cream cheese
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Method for cream cheese frosting:
1. Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, salt and cream cheese in a large bowl.
2. Beat in the confectionary sugar until smooth and creamy.
3. Beat in the vanilla extract.
By Executive Chef Tim Fonseca of Four Seasons Hotel Boston.