The Cathedral of Milan—the Duomo di Milano—is easily the city’s most imposing sight.
Its construction began in 1386, and though it was consecrated in 1418, at the time, only the nave had been completed.
Initially, brick was used, but then the material of choice was switched to marble. The pink-streaked marble was brought from Piedmont via waterways and canals until it reached a small lake a few hundred yards away from the cathedral’s construction site.
Due to politics and other setbacks, it wasn’t until the 19th century, under Napoleon, that the façade was finished.
Construction would span almost six centuries, until completion in 1965.