Every November we look forward to stuffing ourselves with stuffings and cooking up our favorite recipes. Today, we’re excited to share one of our favorite turkey recipes for your Turkey Day feast.
4 TBS turkey seasoning**
4 TBS peanut oil
10 lbs (4.5 kg) turkey
1-1/2 TBS Kosher flake salt
1 medium onion, quartered
3 garlic cloves, sliced
Peel of Meyer lemon
A sprig of sage
2 TBS dried crushed sage
1 TBS dried crushed parsley
1 TBS dried crushed rosemary
1 TBS dried crushed thyme
1 TBS dried crushed oregano
1 TBS dried crushed basil
1 TBS ground black pepper
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS salt
1. Make the rub. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Remove turkey from its wrapper. Remove giblets and reserve neck and heart for gravy.
3. Trim any loose skins and cut off wing tips; reserve these for gravy as well.
4. Rub the entire bird with kosher flake salt. Let it sit in the fridge, uncovered, for 8-24 hours.
5. The next day, pre-heat smoker to 350ºF (176ºC). Remove turkey from fridge, and loosen skin around turkey breasts with spoon or your fingers, and push the rub under the skin spreading it as far as you can under the skin.
6. Take the rest of the rub and rub it all over the turkey.
7. Place quartered onions, garlic slices, a sprig of sage, and lemon peel into the turkey cavity.
8. Wrap the ends of the turkey legs and wings in foil.
9. Place the turkey on the top rack of the smoker, with the gravy pan underneath.
9. Place the lid on the smoker. DO NOT open to peek.
10. After one hour, open the smoker and remove the foil.
11. Continue cooking until internal temperature of the breast hits 160ºF (71ºC).
12. Remove turkey and gravy pan.
13. Serve immediately.
For more recipes: http://bit.ly/1fYjMmB