Here’s a quickie that can be put together in a few minutes using your favorite curry powder. For the purpose of this one-pot book, we experimented by adding the rice to the curry close to the end of cooking. It works brilliantly and is super delicious.
Serves 6 to 8
- 2 pounds organic, free-range chicken breast or thigh meat, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite curry powder
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 1/2 ounces onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Generous 2 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can of plum tomatoes, diced, and their juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cups basmati rice, soaked for 15–30 minutes in cold water and drained
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Chopped cilantro
- 4–6 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Mix together the curry powder and oil in a small bowl. Heat a large saucepan, approx. 10 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep, over medium heat, add the curry oil mixture, and stir for a minute or two. Add the onions and garlic and cook gently for 3 minutes until they start to color.
Add the chicken chunks and toss lightly to coat them with the curry oil mixture. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for 3–4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour in the coconut milk, add the diced tomatoes and their juice, and season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring, and then cover the pan with a lid and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked. Chicken breast should take 5–6 minutes; thigh meat will take a little longer, about 10–15 minutes. Sprinkle in the rice 6–8 minutes before the end of cooking. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside for 7 minutes, tightly covered with the lid, to allow the rice to swell.
To serve, squeeze over some lime juice to taste and sprinkle with fresh cilantro and lots of scallions. Accompany with a bowl of organic salad greens.
Recipe reprinted with permission from “One Pot Feeds All” by Darina Allen. Published by Kyle Books.