I know everyone has their own opinion of the best Mac ‘n Cheese in the city, and it’s hard to bypass this side dish on a menu as it’s just the epitome of comfort food and always gets the job done. While there are those like Cafeteria and S’MAC that everyone ooh’s and ahh’s over, I’ve listed my favorite below.
1. The Coffee Shop (Union Square)– You’d never suspect that this corner spot in Union Square would actually be any good right? Well their mac ‘n cheese is perfect. It’s my ideal cup. Elbow macaroni, maybe just one or two cheeses blended and coated with breadcrumbs atop.
2. The Waverly Inn (West Village)– It’s $65- it better be this good. Coated in truffles, bread crumbs and cheese, it’s definitely one you have to save up for and something you need to add to your list.
3. The Smith (East Village, Midtown, Lincoln Center)– It’s served in a skillet so that brings this one closer to the top automatically. Crunchy on the sides and soft in the middle. The cheese selection is a bit stronger but once you add salt, you are there.
4. Dinosaur BBQ (Brooklyn)– Layered with American Cheese, it tastes homemade, cheesy and nothing too fancy.
5. Bobwhite Lunch & Supper Counter (East Village)– This little side dish offers noodles that are cooked very al dente with flattened elbows and mixed with different cheese.
6. Giorgio’s of Gramercy (East Village)– It’s rich and it’s a huge entree. Can you handle it?
7. Left Bank (West Village) – They are thick tubes and a totally different take than the tradition mac ‘n cheese dishes picked on this list but it’s addicting.
8. Sons of Essex (Lower East Side)– It has crab in it. Enough said.
9. Dinner on Ludlow (Lower East Side)– Bread crumbs.
10. Schiller’s (Lower East Side)
*Image of Mac ‘N Cheese via Shutterstock.