Right now, wherever you are in your journey toward superior nutrition, you should appreciate your accomplishments, and now take it even further. Building a healthy diet is like building muscles or learning a new skill – if you make the commitment and practice every day, you will get stronger, you will see results, and it will become easier and more enjoyable.
- If you have already added a large salad every day, now add a serving of cooked green vegetables; next replace the sugary foods in your diet with fresh fruits.
- If you’ve switched your breakfast from coffee and doughnuts to steel cut oats and berries, now aim to get all of the G-BOMBS into your diet every day.
- If you have tackled eating healthfully at home and around pushy family members, now practice ordering at a restaurant. Ask for your food exactly how you want it; no salt or oil, and add extra salad or steamed vegetables.
- If you have begun to change your diet but don’t yet have an understanding of the science, read Eat for Health. Become an expert on nutrition. Knowledge, not willpower will help you to make the best food and lifestyle decisions. Reading this book again almost always brings the information into better focus.
- Try a new vegetable or fruit that you’ve never tasted. There is a huge variety of different flavors to experiment with in the world of plant foods: broccoli rabe, mustard greens, kohlrabi, jicama, pomegranates, persimmons, apricots and mangos, just to name a few. Micronutrient variety is vital to excellent health.
- Get in touch with true hunger. Learn the difference between toxic hunger and true hunger, and eat according to your body’s natural hunger and satiety signals.
As you continue to build consistent, health-promoting choices into your daily life, eating a Nutritarian diet will become automatic, part of your normal routine and require very little effort. You will prefer health-promoting foods. So keep it going. Make a choice to never have a heart attack or stroke, never to have to deal with type 2 diabetes, never have to go on a diet again. Your future is in your hands; so eat for optimal health!
*Image of “beach” via Shutterstock