Spiced Kimchi Mary
Makes 1 drink
- Lime wedge
- Gochugaru (Korean chile flakes)
- Ice, for serving
- 7 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1/4 cup Spicy Kimchi Mix
- 1/4 cup Celery and Black Pepper Soju Infusion
- 1 celery stick, for serving
- Shrimp chips (optional)
Rub the lime wedge around the outside rim of a tall glass and then roll the rim of the glass in the chile flakes. Fill the glass with ice. Combine the tomato juice, kimchi mix, and soju infusion in the glass and stir for 10 seconds. Garnish with the celery stick. Serve shrimp chips alongside for snacking, if you’d like.
Spicy Kimchi Mix
Makes about 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons
- 5 teaspoons kimchi juice from cabbage kimchi or jarred kimchi base
- 5 teaspoons Sriracha sauce or other hot sauce or chile sauce
- 1 teaspoon gochujang (Korean chile paste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
In a small bowl, stir together all the ingredients.
Celery and Black Pepper Soju Infusion
Fill a 1 1/2-liter jar with a tight-fitting lid halfway with 2-inch-long celery sticks. Add 3 tablespoons whole black peppercorns and fill the jar with soju. Cover and let sit at room temperature for a least a day up to a week, making sure the soju covers the celery. Keep refrigerated. Strain before using.
Recipe reprinted with permission from “Korean Food Made Simple” by Judy Joo.