Baked Mushrooms with Zucchini Stuffing
Courtesy of Chef Sal Scognamillo, Patsy’s Italian Restaurant, NYC
Makes 24, serves 6
* ½ cup canned shopped tomatoes with juice
* ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for coating baking dish
* 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
* 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 3 medium zucchini (about 1 ¼ pounds), rinsed and finely diced
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
* 1 ½ teaspoons salt
* ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* ½ cup dry bread crumbs
* ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 24 jumbo white mushrooms (about 1 pound), rinsed and patted dry
Preheat the oven to 450 F.
Place the tomatoes in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes, remove from the heat, and reserve.
Heat ¼ cup of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium flame. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the diced zucchini and continue cooking until lightly browned. Stir in the reserved tomatoes, the basil, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat and cool.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs and cheese. Add the cooled zucchini mixture and the beaten egg, stirring until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Lightly coat a baking dish with oil. Place the mushrooms cap side down in one layer in the dish. Season with the remaining salt and pepper, and fill with the zucchini mixture. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a light crust forms. Serve hot.