Spring is officially here and summer is around the corner. It’s time to open up the farmer’s markets and indulge in some of the best-tasting and freshest fruit of the season. This two-for-one recipe starts out as a delicious fruit salad and the leftovers can be turned into an awesome sangria.
Courtesy of Chef Jess
• 1/8 cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
• 1/8 cup water
• 1/4 cup packed basil leaves, chopped
• 2 tablespoons grated lemon, lime or orange zest
• 2 cups cubed pineapple (about 1 medium)
• 2 cups quartered strawberries (about 1 pound)
• 2 cups cubed peeled mango (about 2 large)
• 1 cup blueberries
• 1/8 cups mint, chopped
1. Combine sugar with water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; stir in basil and zest. Cool.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle with sugar mixture; toss gently. Garnish with chopped mint.
WAIT!!! We’re NOT done yet….
Take the leftovers and add your favorite 100% juice (Alcohol spiking, optional) to make an impressive and refreshing drink.