President Trump Says He Will Likely Skip White House Correspondents’ Dinner

April 6, 2018 Updated: April 6, 2018

President Donald Trump said that he most likely will not attend this year’s White House correspondents’ dinner.

Speaking on the “Bernie and Sid in the Morning” show on WABC, Trump said that given the media’s biased and often intentionally inaccurate coverage of his administration, he will not be attending the annual dinner on April 28. He specifically called out media organizations for using unnamed sources—even when no sources exists—to spread false information.

Instead, the President said he hoped to improve relations with the press before potentially attending the annual dinner hosted by the White House Correspondents’ Association in the future.

Last year, Trump skipped the dinner as well, holding a rally in Pennsylvania instead.

It is unclear whether the president will hold a rally again this year.

A recent analysis by the Media Research Center found that over 90 percent of coverage of Trump and his administration on the evening news on major networks was negative in 2017.

Similarly, an analysis by Pew Research Center of more than 3,000 stories during the first 100 days of his presidency across 24 different media organizations found that reporting on Trump has been the most negative compared to other presidents over the past 25 years.

The research, published in October last year, showed that only 5 percent of media reporting during the period was positive. Sixty-two percent of stories was negative, and 33 percent was neither positive nor negative.

Despite the persistent negative coverage of Trump, his approval rose to 51 percent on April 4 according to research by Rasmussen Reports.

The right-leaning polling company was among the most accurate during the 2016 presidential elections, being the second most accurate in predicting the election results.

 

Recommended Video:

President Trump Links Sanctuary Policies to Opioid Crisis in Weekly Address

Follow Jasper on Twitter: @JasperFakkert