This is probably one of my favorite Chinese New Year snacks. It’s soft and crumbly on the outside and sweet on the inside.
2 small pineapples or 1 regular pineapple, grated & juice strained
425 g flour (more if batter is too wet)
225 g + 1 tbs sugar
200 g butter, room temperature
1 tbs Dutch butter (optional)
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1. Put grated pineapple and 1 tbs sugar in a saucepan. Cook on medium-low heat, until water is reduced and the pineapple turns bright orange. Check constantly.
2. Mix butter and sugar. Put in the egg yolks and whole egg. Mix. Add flour gradually while continuously mixing the batter.
3. Take about 1 teaspoon batter, flatten it on your hand. Take about 1/4 teaspoon of the pineapple jam (formed into a tiny circle, if you want) and place it in the center of the flattened batter. Roll.
4. Brush the tarts with egg wash. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
5. Bake at 170ºC (or about 325ºF) for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
“Somewhere Sunny (ver 2)” Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0