Fava (Greek Yellow Split Pea Dip)
Serves 4 to 6 as a starter
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated (on a box grater’s largest size)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 1/2 cups warm vegetable broth or water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: chopped scallions, capers, pan-seared cherry tomatoes, strips of roasted red pepper
Rinse the split peas well in cold water (no need to soak) before you start cooking.
In a deep, non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic, and carrot until the onions are translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the bay leaf, rosemary, yellow split peas, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the peas are soft and the liquid has evaporated almost completely, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf and rosemary sprig, and transfer the cooked peas to the bowl of a food processor. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Puree until smooth.
Serve immediately, topped with scallions, capers, pan-seared cherry tomatoes, or roasted red pepper strips, or refrigerate until ready to serve.