Curried Fonio Pilaf
Our fluffy fonio pilaf takes on vibrancy and flavor from curry spices and cooks faster than rice. Vegan, gluten-free, and topped with fresh herbs and pomegranate jewels.
- Olive oil
- 2 cups diced onions (small, 1/4–1/2 inch)
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes (1/4–1/2 inch), about 1 large potato
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and strained)
- 4 cups cooked Yolélé fonio
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch mint, chopped
In a large saucepan, heat 2–3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
Add onions, sweet potato, and salt, and mix well.
Add curry powder and stir, about 8 minutes (do not let onions burn).
Turn heat to medium-low, and add ginger and chickpeas. Mix well.
Add more oil if the mixture seems dry, and continue to cook for 2–4 minutes.
Gently fold in cooked fonio, take the mixture off the heat, and transfer to a bowl. Allow to cool.
Before serving, mix in pomegranate seeds, lemon juice, and chopped herbs.
Recipe courtesy of Yolélé Foods