Creamy Fonio Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup fonio
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 cups almond milk or soy milk
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 fresh mango, chopped or 1/2 cup fresh blueberries or 1 sliced banana
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews, toasted (optional)
To prepare the fonio, place in a large heavy saucepan. Add water and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add dried cranberries, raisins, milk, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Let stand for 1 minute. Stir in brown sugar, fresh fruit, and cinnamon.
Toast chopped cashews (if using) in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Sprinkle with toasted cashews and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Yolélé Foods