By Chef Enrico Alaggia
This cabbage “fat-burning” soup is the perfect way to lose weight while having a hearty, nutritious meal. The ingredients are rich in flavor while low in calories.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 24 minutes
Total Time: 49 minutes
Makes 12 servings
- 4 carrots
- 2 white onions
- 1 can of whole peeled tomatoes (16 oz)
- 1 large green cabbage head
- 1 oz. dry onion soup mix (pre-mixed is fine, or you can make your own from roughly equal parts of: dry onion flakes, beef bullion granules or paste, onion powder, parsley, celery seed, paprika, black pepper)
- 6 oz. fresh green beans (or canned or frozen)
- 1 qt. tomato juice
- 1.5 qt. vegetable broth (or chicken or beef broth)
- 2 medium or large green bell pepper (if small, use 3)
- 10 celery stalks
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch green onions for garnish
- Start by cutting your carrots, onions, green beans, green bell peppers, and celery into 1 inch (approximate) cubes. You can variate the type of cut (I julienned the onions, for example),but just keep in mind that the pieces should not be too small.
- Julienne the green cabbage to your desired thickness. Leave the tomatoes whole.
- Heat up on medium your saucepot (5 quarts volume capacity at least) and pour a few drops of extra virgin olive oil. Then put your onions in the pot and cook for 4 minutes, always stirring.
- Now add your carrots, green peppers, green beans, celery, and whole tomatoes along with the onion soup mix, the ground ginger, salt, and pepper, and cook while stirring for another 5 minutes.
- Now add all the julienne cabbage and the tomato juice with the broth, and cook over low/medium for at least 15 minutes.
Update: Ingredients for the “dry onion soup mix” have been added for your convenience.