7 Quotes That Will Give You Chills
Looking for something super inspirational to get a sluggish holiday season going?
Reddit Mode asked, “What quote always gives you chills?”
1. “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.” – Stephen McCranie
Shared by Reddit user ol55
This speaks to character traits such as perserverence, resilience, and determination. Don’t be one of those people who pout and have a temper tantrum when they can’t master something in their first few tries.
2. “Years of love have been forgot, in the hatred of a minute” – Edgar Allan Poe
Shared by Reddit user halfmoonwitch
People who’ve had a long-term relationship break-up relate best to this one. All those good times, a period possibly spanning years, and all it takes is one freak incident on one day to relegate all that time and effort to naught.
3. “Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.”
Shared by Reddit user TRS66
So true. Holding a grudge drives yourself crazy, but other than that it doesn’t do anything. The other person probably has no idea what kind of problem you have with them. If you have a problem with someone, speak to them in a civilized manner!
4. “If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees. If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children. ” ― Confucius
Shared by Reddit user imaginethecave
The main idea is that raising descendents properly is crucial to the stability of a society.
5. “Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.”
Said by Winston Churchill about the approximately 2,000 pilots for the Royal Air Force who won the Battle of Britain, the battle for the skies of Europe. These men, mainly British, but with a sizable minority from Australia, Canada, Poland and Czechia, defeated the German Luftwaffe. This allowed the allies, rather than the Nazis, to have control of the seas around Europe, not only preventing an invasion of Britain, but also making D-Day possible, and the subsequent liberation of hundreds of millions from Nazi rule. The fact that Europe is dominated by free democracies to this day is thanks to those men.”
Shared by Reddit user John_Wilkes
Ah..there are so many great quotes in WW2; this is just one of them. WW2 was definitely one of the most significant events in history.
6. “Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” – Arthur C. Clarke
Shared by Reddit user jdaher
I’ve always been puzzled by those who insist we’re the only ones in the universe. First, like the quote says, that’s terrifying in itself. Secondly, what are the chances, considering the sheer number of galaxies, planets, and whatnot in the known universe? Are we really a 1/∞ happening?
7. “My Mom told me this “Never derive your self worth on other people’s inability to love you. That is their flaw, not yours”
Shared by Reddit user capricornchic
Nice to get a homemade quote in there. And this is just the kind of quote a loving mother would make.