Trouble falling asleep or staying asleep?
Ever count sheep? Who came up with that idea anyway? I used to try it, and it drove me crazy. I always lost track of how many sheep. I guess that was the point, but it never helped me get to sleep.
Here’s what I’ve learned after countless insomnia consults. Prescription sleep aids may work for some, but before you resort to that extreme. give a few of these natural sleep remedies a try.
1. Darkness Counts. Make the bedroom as dark as possible. No computers in the room, no clock radio light. If you want to sleep, you need to maximize that melatonin production, so you need blackness. When you can’t see your hand in front of your face, your sleep space is functioning as a natural sleep aid.
2. Stop Napping. No more than one short, 30-minute or less nap per day. Sorry folks, if you really want good quality sleep you’ve got to maximize the efficiency of seven hours straight. You shouldn’t need a nap if you have at least seven to eight hours of quality sleep each night. Power napping (30 minutes or less ) is approved but more than that, and you are sabotaging your nighttime REM.
3. Get Seven to Eight Hours. This is not a pipe dream. Although many of us would like to will ourselves to sleep, this method is fairly ineffective. But if you truly set a natural-sleep goal, this will be a positive influence: As you go to bed, give yourself the positive affirmation that you will sleep all night. Don’t doubt yourself—you may be surprised how strong the mind can be.
4. Love Your Mattress. Or love whatever you sleep on. If you don’t love it, change it. You spend months or years of your life sleeping. Do it in style.
5. Temperature. This is one of the most important natural sleep remedies. We have all experienced the too hot summer night or too cold winter morning. Make it right and enjoy the best sleep you can. (If night sweats are your “too hot” moment, check out our natural Menopause Relief. It will naturally adjust your internal thermostat.)
Bonus tip. A few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow and behind your ear lobes provide a natural calming effect.
If you are still suffering with poor sleep, try our all natural sleep aid. Our herbal blend is not a secret. It is written in every Chinese herbal formula book on the planet. It has been used for centuries. Drink a small cup of iSleep before bed, and we guarantee you will improve the number of hours you sleep. Best part—it’s an all-natural sleep aid!
Cathy Margolin, Dipl Oriental Medicine, L.Ac., is the founder of PacificHerbs.com
*Image of “man” via Vic/Flickr/CC BY