New Yorkers are early to bed and early to rise. People in Tokyo are night owls. And, 10% of Dubai-ans are still asleep at 11 a.m.
The data shows:
- Tokyo, Japan gets the least sleep – 5 hr. 44 min.
- Melbourne, Australia gets the most sleep – 6 hr. 58 min.
- Brisbane, Australia is earliest to rise – 6:29 a.m.
- Moscow, Russia is latest to rise — 8:08 a.m.
- Stockholm, Sweden takes the most steps – 8,876.
- San Paulo, Brazil takes the least steps – 6,254.
“The movement and sleep patterns of a city tell an amazing story about its culture and people,” says Brian Wilt, Jawbone’s data scientist who crunched the numbers. “How active is a city? When do they go to bed on average, and how much do they sleep? … Each pattern forms a distinct ‘thumbprint’ for the city, the unique way its citizens live their lives.”
Jawbone is a San Francisco-based company specializing in consumer technology and wearable devices.
More About Sleep Deprivation:
*Image of “man” via Shutterstock