Concealed Carry Gun Owner Tries to Stop Dispute, Gets Shot and Killed

May 3, 2016 Updated: May 3, 2016

A concealed carry gun owner attempted to intervene in a domestic dispute and was shot dead.

T.J. Antell, a former Marine and Crossfit gym owner, was killed on Monday when he tried to disarm a fleeing shooter and was shot.

Antell, 35, watched a domestic dispute between and man and a woman outside a Walgreens in Arlington, Texas. The man fired a gun twice, with one bullet hitting the woman. He then got into his vehicle in the parking lot and tried to flee the scene.

That’s when Antell got into his vehicle and grabbed his own gun before approaching the shooter, Arlington police stated, according to the Dallas Morning News.

The shooter didn’t listen to Antell’s commands when he ordered him to stop and instead shot him in the head. He was pronounced dead on the scene, police said.

The shooter turned himself into authorities.

Ricci Bradden, a 22-year-old soldier at Fort Hood, now faces murder charges and is being held on $500,000 bond, said Arlington police.

Bradden was seen driving away from the scene when he called in and confessed to several Army supervisors at Fort Hood. FOX4 reported that he slapped the gun out of Antell’s hand and shot him.

Bradden then called his father, who advised him to turn himself into police. The two men then drove to a Texas Department of Public Safety in Hill County where Bradden turned himself in.

“A family member met with the suspect and took him to a Texas Highway Patrol DPS office in Hill County,” said Arlington Police Chief Christopher Cook.

Officials said that Bradden had got into a conflict with his wife, Quinisha Johnson, and an employee at Walgreens.

The shooting took place at about 11:30 a.m. in the 5600 block of New York Avenue, near Southeast Green Oaks Boulevard, police said.

“He went into a protective mode,” said Antell’s pastor, Marc Lowrance, reported FOX4. “He’s a father. He is protective by nature. He thought he could help everyone involved and tragically it went a different way.”