This hearty dish is delicious and simple, making it one of my favorites to make on a regular basis. With everything being cooked on the same baking sheet, the cleanup is extremely easy AND the vegetables are flavored with all of the chicken’s juices. Additionally, this meal makes for really good leftovers.
You will need:
- About 2 pounds organic chicken – I like to use bone in breast and some legs.
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 pound brussel sprouts
- 6-8 cloves garlic, whole, skin removed
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- About 1 tablespoon dried herbs (oregano, parsley, thyme, etc)
Feel free to use other hearty veggies as well, such as sweet potatoes or beets.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop veggies in big pieces – halving brussel sprouts and coarsely chopping broccoli and cauliflower.
- Place chopped veggies and garlic cloves on a large baking sheet (lined with wax paper if you want to save on cleanup), drizzle with olive, and dust with salt and pepper. Using your hands or a large spoon, mix veggies around so they are evenly coated in olive oil, salt and pepper mixture.
- Next, rinse chicken pieces and blot dry with a paper towel. Drizzle with olive oil and dust with salt and pepper. Place on baking tray over veggies and sprinkle with herbs. You can also use red pepper flake if you enjoy a little “kick.”
- Place baking tray in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. You can check this by using a small knife and making sure that the inside of the chicken is not pink. If you see pink, bake for another 5-10 minutes and check again.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. You can either serve chicken on the bone or remove before plating. If you’d like, add more salt, pepper and/or additional herbs. Serve and enjoy!