S4 Catches Fire: Samsung Pressures Man to Remove Video

By Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber covers U.S. and world news. He is based in Maryland.
December 10, 2013 Updated: July 18, 2015

After a Samsung S4 caught fire, and the owner posted a video to YouTube, Samsung agreed to settle but told the man that he must remove the video as part of the agreement.

The company also said that the man must remove “any other link or statement relating to these matters and refrain from making other videos or statements about or relating to the matters set out herein,” according to the letter the company sent the man, who posted it online.

In the video, the man describes how his phone caught on fire while it was charging.

Over 500,000 people have viewed the video.

The man, who goes by the handle Ghostlyrich online, hasn’t said whether he will accept an offer from Samsung.

Previously, a range of people have reported their Samsung Galaxy phones exploding.

A fire in Hong Kong in June purportedly started after a Galaxy S4 caught on fire, while in July a Swiss teenager suffered burns after her Galaxy S3 exploded in her pocket, the Daily Mail reported.

In South Korea in 2011, a battery from Samsung’s Galaxy Note allegedly exploded in a man’s pocket while he was walking, causing a one-inch wound to his thigh and burns. Another similar explosion was reported in South Korea that year.



Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber covers U.S. and world news. He is based in Maryland.