Manny Pacquiao Next Fight: Could Pacman Take on Floyd Mayweather Twice in 2015?

By Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber
Reporter
Zachary Stieber covers U.S. and world news. He is based in Maryland.
September 8, 2014 Updated: July 18, 2015

Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather could fight twice in 2015.

The star boxers are getting closer to a deal as both sides negotiate, and whichever boxer loses the first fight would undoubtedly want a rematch–along with boxing fans.

“There are serious negotiations with the Mayweather camp and my promoter,” Pacquiao revealed recently, reported the Daily Mail.

He said that the bout would likely happen next year, as both he and “Money” have bouts scheduled this fall.

Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum said recently that he thinks Pacman and Money could fight twice next year.

“‘Both [TV] networks want this to happen,” he said. “All signs seem to point to a first fight early next year.”

“A second fight in the autumn would provide a different cash split because the winner of the first would claim the higher percentage. As each of them believes he would win, that provides an extra incentive,” he added.

The first fight would likely take place in May while the second fight would likely happen in September or November.

At least one of the bouts would likely be in Las Vegas while the other could be somewhere else that has top appeal, even Wembley Stadium in London where 80,000 turned out to watch Carl Froch and George Groves fight earlier this year.

The bouts between Pacquiao and Mayweather are projected to generate at least $300 million in revenue, and would be a major boost to the struggling sport.

It’s highly possible that Pacquiao’s last fights will come in 2015, as he has expressed a desire to retire in 2016 and run for higher office in the Philippines.

Mayweather would turn to opponents such as Amir Khan in 2016.

Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber covers U.S. and world news. He is based in Maryland.