Lewandowski: Not Sure Lara Trump Running for Senate Is a Good Thing Since Washington Is ‘Broken’

March 3, 2021 Updated: March 3, 2021

Former senior Trump adviser Corey Lewandowski believes it may not be a good idea for Lara Trump to run for the U.S. Senate because the system in Washington is broken.

Lewandowski told The Epoch Times that although he’s sure Lara Trump would win if she ran for office, she could have more of an impact from outside the government.

“My problem is, Washington is so fundamentally broken that I don’t know if it’s a good thing anymore,” Lewandowski said.

“You go to Washington, D.C. and then Mitch McConnell or some other leader tells you what committee you get to sit on, how you have to vote, you got to do this, you got to do that,” he continued. “I think Lara Trump—and she would be an amazing United States senator if she decided to run because she would win—she has more influence and more opportunity to drive a narrative today being on the outside than being stuck in a broken system.”

Rumors of a potential run for the Senate by Lara Trump, former President Donald Trump’s daughter-in-law, have circulated since last year and were revived again after Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) voted in favor of convicting Trump at the impeachment trial last month. Burr had announced in 2016 that he would not seek reelection in 2022. Trump insiders told The Epoch Times they are confident Lara Trump would easily win if she decided to enter the race.

“Lara Trump’s megaphone is massive and she has such convictions as to what she believes in. I know a number of the U.S. senators. You ask them, ‘How much of your job do you love?’ They say, ‘I love 20 percent. The other 80 percent is things I have to do,’” Lewandowski said. “It’s really hard when you’re inside that system.”

Lewandowski said Trump wanted him to run for office in New Hampshire and that he declined for the same reasons.

“I said, ‘What if I actually won?’ And I would have won, that’s the problem. I said, ‘I would have to go to Washington, D.C., and work with some of these lunatics,’” Lewandowski said.

“As much as I’d want to do it to help the people, I think being a governor is a much better chief executive role than being 1 out of 100 U.S. Senators, or 1 out of 435 members of Congress, because every decision you make as a governor has a direct impact on the people’s lives in that state almost immediately.”

Follow Ivan on Twitter: @ivanpentchoukov
Follow Ivan on Parler: @IvanPentchoukov