Kitchee Retain Lead in Premier League, USRC and Corinthians to Meet in YYL Cup Final

Association football—Hong Kong
March 17, 2015 Updated: March 17, 2015

HONG KONG—HKFA Premier League saw two contenders for the title, play each other in rounds played over the weekend.

Saturday (March 14) saw the BOCG Life Premier League game between I-Sky Yuen Long and Wong Tai Sin played at Yuen Long Stadium. After a goalless first half, Wong Tai Sin took the lead in the 65th minute when Wong Chun-hin put Li Jian through, with Li scoring at the second attempt after his first shot was parried by goalkeeper Pan Tsz-kin.

I-sky Yuen Long equalised in the 70th minute when Yuan Yang converted Wellingsson De Souza’s cross and a final score of 1-all.

In Sunday’s (March 15) game at Sham Shui Po Sports Ground, YFCMD took on South China, and the game was settled 1-nil in YFCMD’s favour through a goal from Kenji Fukuda in the 29th minute.

In the evening game at Tseung Kwan O Sports Ground, second placed Eastern took on third placed Sun Pegasus. Sun Pegasus opened the scoring early in the 3rd minute when Admir Rascic converted Jaimes Mckee’s cross, and extended their lead in the 17th minute when Petrisor Voinea was released into the Eastern half, and progressed towards goal before chipping over goalkeeper Yapp Hung-fai.

Eastern pulled a goal back in the 35th minute when Miroslav Saric scored after reacting first after Dylan Macallister had headed on Rohan Ricketts’ corner, but Sun Pegasus still led 2-1 at the half-time break.

Sun Pegasus restored their 2 goal advantage in the 65th minute when Jaimes Mckee headed in Petrisor Voinea’s cross. However, Eastern reduced the deficit in the 81st minute when Giovane Da Silva converted a spot kick, and then equalised in the 87th minute when Miroslav Saric’s cross evaded Sun Pegasus goalkeeper Jarrad Tyson.

Kitchee now lead the table with 26 points from 11 games, and a superior goal difference, with Eastern second in the standings on 26 points from 12 matches, Sun Pegasus third with 23 points from 13 matches, and South China fourth with 23 points from 13 matches.

In the weekend’s first division matches, Lucky Mile won 3-1 in Saturday night’s game at Sports Road against Citizen. Sunday’s games saw Southern win 9-nil against Tuen Mun, Yau Tsim Mong win 5-1 against Tai Chung, Metro Gallery Sun Source win 2-1 against Kwun Tong, Sun Hei draw 1-all with Happy Valley, and HKFC win 3-nil against Double Flower.

Metro Gallery Sun Source now lead the first division table with 51 points, with HKFC second with 50 points, Yau Tsim Mong third on 42 points, and Southern fourth on 38 points – the 3 leaders all having played 19 games, and Southern one less. Metro Gallery Sun Source and HKFC head into this Saturday’s clash at Sports Road for a game that is likely to determine which team lifts the championship.

Second division matches saw Eastern District 3-1 victors over Sham Shui Po, Mutual win 6-1 against Kwok Keung, Kwong Wah win 8-nil against New Fair Kui Tan, Kowloon City win 6-1 against Sai Kung, Tuen Mun FC win 7-nil against Tsuen Wan, and Wing Yee win 4-nil against Fire Services.

Wing Yee now head the second division after 17 matches with 44 points, Mutual are second with 37 points, and Kowloon City are third with 35 points.

In the third division, Central & Western were 3-nil victors over KCC, Fukien won 6-nil against King Mountain, Telecom were beaten 4-nil by Fu Moon, Ornament won 2-1 against Rainbow Legend North District, St Joseph’s won 4-nil against Islands, Tung Sing won 8-1 against Lung Moon, and GFC Friends won 4-nil against KCDRSC.

Tung Sing now lead the division with 50 points from 19 matches, with Central & Western district second with 47 points from the same number of matches.

Yau Yee League
Yau Yee League saw the semi finals of both the Yau Yee League Cup and the Chairman’s cup. In the Yau Yee League cup, Corinthians prevailed 5-2 against GAS, whilst USRC were 4-2 victors over KCC Dragons to progress to the 9th May final.

Both semi finals in the Chairman’s Cup required a penalty shoot out to decide who would contest the May 9 final, and IES university 5-3 on penalties after the game finished 1-all in regulation. While CAPS were 6-5 penalty shoot out victors over Dynamo after their tie was 2-all after regulation.

Allan Jackson has been involved in soccer for more than 40 years as a player, referee, administrator and freelance writer.